Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Sad Songs & Waltzes

Somehow my iTunes got all buggered and I hadn't noticed but there was a lot of music that was available on my iPod but not in my iTunes music library. It was fairly easy to fix. I had to move some files and then reassociate those songs with the file location.

In the process though I ended up listening to snippets of quite a lot of my music. I tend to focus intently on this kind of activity and lose track of time and things that are going around me. I forget to eat (hence my handle and why I don't own a game system) and go to the bathroom etc..

When I woke up from this task a few hours had gone by and my nose was all sniffly and I noticed a pile of wet kleenex next to the keyboard. I had been crying off and on throughout the entire thing. Weird. But not because I was particually sad or anything like that but because of the music. I scrolled back through the list of songs that I had been dicking around with and listening to and it made sense.

Here in sort of alphabetical order by artist (according to the file names not the iTunes names) is a list of songs that make me cry like a baby girl baby even if I just hear a snippet:
  • Until You Come Back To Me - Aretha Franklin

  • Prettiest Eyes - Beautiful South

  • Must I Paint You A Picture - Billy Bragg

  • Hesitating Beauty - Billy Bragg & Wilco

  • Sad Songs & Waltzes - Cake

  • Heaven - Cigar Store Indians

  • Mint Car - The Cure

  • American Dreaming - Dead Can Dance

  • Our Love Is Here To Stay - Dinah Washington

  • Squeeze Me - Dinah Washington

  • Man Out Of Time - Elvis Costello & The Attractions

  • Tampa - Gipsy Kings

  • Polkadots & Moonbeans - Hot Club of Cowtown

  • Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans - Miss Lavay Smith & Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers

  • Horizon - Let's Active

  • Wildwood - Paul Weller

  • The Band Played Waltzing Matilda - The Pogues

  • You're My Best Friend - Queen

  • I was going to say Grey Gardens, but the entire fucking Poses album makes me cry - Rufus Wainwright

  • Overjoyed - Stevie Wonder

  • In Love For The First Time - The Style Council

  • You're The Best Thing - The Style Council

  • World Before Columbus - Suzanne Vega

  • Earn Enough For Us - XTC

I'm sure there are plenty more, these are just the ones I just happen to listen to today.

Oh yeah, enjoy the picture at the top of the pretty floating lady. She makes me cry too if I look at her long enough.

2 comments:

Churlita said...

Most of those songs would make me cry too - except the Pogues. The Pogues make me want to drink whiskey and punch someone.

Johnny Yen said...

You had me at Aretha Franklin's "Until you Come Back To Me." I love that song. Her song "Ain't No Way" is another that really moves me.

Speaking of Style Council, "The Paris Match" sends me into a sentimental mood-- both versions. On one, Paul Weller himself sings, on the other, the singer from "Nothing But the Girl" sings.