Tuesday, January 6, 2009

10 True Things

1. Every night I read myself to sleep. Depending on the book and how much my head is chattering it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 or 3 hours before I'm soothed enough for sleeping, and sometimes not at all, so I end up reading quite a lot. I have to have a book going at all times, but I can only read one book at a time, unlike MDH who tends to have several things going at once.

2. I have trouble mingling with the general public. It doesn't take much, a kicked movie seat, half a second of an overly loud cell phone conversation or dodging people who stand and chat at the foot of a staircase or in front of a door is enough to make me wish I never had to leave the house again. Hell, actual human beings don't even have to be present. The sight of a blatantly lopsided parked car inspires me to drop from society entirely and go live in a cave.

3. I am overly dramatic. See above.


4. Like Gwen, I too have been blessed with an excellent set of choppers. I get compliments on my teeth all the time, which used to bother me when I was younger as I would have rather gotten compliments on numerous other features, qualities and body parts, but these days I don't mind and will take any compliment bone that anyone is willing to throw my way.

5. I don't always brush my teeth before I go to bed, which considering the amount of garlic and onions I consume on a daily basis probably accounts greatly for the decline of my sex life. Ah, my poor darling, MDH. Although, I suppose that on the nights that I do decide to brush my teeth before bed, it's easier for him to tell when it's cool to make a move because the minty freshness is clearly a sign that the sexual green light is lit. It's practically foreplay.

6. I'm writing this post as a draft in my email while I'm working today because I cannot concentrate on my work. This typically never happens. When I'm working I usually have pretty intense focus, but lately I can't get my shit together. I'm blaming the holidays and the fact that there is hardly anyone else here and see below.

7. Thursday before last I had my 3rd interview for a full time, whoopi-di-do, big deal, permanant position with the company I am currently contracting for, in a different but nearby department. The whoopi-di-do and the big deal I refer to come from deep within my gut and contain not one single ounce of sarcasm. As much as I don't like to get my hopes up, about anything really, I have turned around and pinned all of my hopes and dreams on getting this job.

8. Outwardly I have been very cool about the whole thing and making attempts to distract myself from worrying, but on the inside I'm screaming and jumping up and down and won't stop until I find out if I got the job. Oh, and reading your blogs instead of working. Thanks guys.

9. My current pet peeve while driving is people who come to a complete stop, when there is no stop sign or red light, before making a right turn. See #2 above.

10. I hoard chocolate candy in the desk drawer of my home office. It's usually chocolates because MDH tends to put chocolate in the refrigerator and I really can't stand for chocolate to be cold and crunchy unless it has nuts or puffed rice in it. Chocolate should be room temperature and all for me.

12 comments:

Del-V said...

I got to try reading myself to sleep. Drinking myself to sleep had brought me nothing but painful hangovers and a lot of angry neighbors.

Gwen said...

We are very much alike which comforts me because I adore you.

"It's practically foreplay" cracked me up!

I've got my fingers crossed for the job!

SkylersDad said...

I practically wear my teeth out brushing so much, I am anal that way.

Good luck with the job!

Claire said...

Good luck with the job! #9 drives me nuts, as do people who slow down or brake slightly at an intersection when the light is green because they're anticipating that it will turn yellow. Arrrggghh.

- said...

GOOD LUCK WITH THE JOB!

I also agree with the stopping at a non-stop thing. My god people. I can often be heard yelling "Drive your car!" in such a situation.

I've totally got road rage.

Churlita said...

I always know I'm PMS'ing when I get irrationally angry about people walking in a big group, so that I have to get off the sidewalk to avoid them. It's a good thing I don't carry a gun at those times.

Churlita said...

Oh yeah. Good luck with the job thing.

Linka72 said...

Lady, I would like to knock all of your teeth out and put them in my mouth..is that weird?..I guess so. It seems that I have developed a HUGE gap between my two front teeth because of some pulled molars and I fucking hate it..but I can't afford braces because I can't afford the "mandatory" root canal that I need before they let me have braces..and life is a bitch..blah blah blah..but good luck on your job!!

WendyB said...

Ha ha! I'm with you on #4 -- I will take ANY compliment these days.

Renaissance Woman said...

I am crossing my fingers for the job! Good luck. And I envy you have such great teeth. I would love to have naturally wonderful teeth.

Anonymous said...

I read myself to sleep too. Sometimes for a few hours, sometimes three words worth. heh heh. Oh, my guy totally hates certain things in public. He gets quiet when someone annoys him and then I can tell he is a little impatient, mainly with slow waitstaff. (post about that shortly) Recently I was with him and I said, "you know what? we have nowhere we need to be". And he smiled and relaxed. (but we both hate the backs of our seats being kicked in the movies, and people talking)

paperback reader said...

What sucks about both relationships and jobs is that you spend so much time focused on the opposite of what you have on the permanence/impermanence spectrum. And in both cases, if crap doesn't work out, something else will come along soon enough.